Saturday, May 1, 2010

Some of my favorite things...




Rain drops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens...

Sorry folks, but I do like me a good Julie Andrews song.


People ask me all the time how I live on a gluten free, dairy free, soy free diet, and how I get my children to eat that way. They always follow it up with, "I could NEVER give up gluten or dairy 100%". I say in response, "Tell me what you can't live without and I will give you the gluten free, dairy free version". Nine years ago, when we started on this journey, the choices were no where near this fantastic or readily available. I can get a box of "Betty Crocker" brownie mix at my local grocery store that is gluten free, and dairy free and very yummy. I don't usually buy those type of things, but it is an example of the market and how it has changed. Bread is generally the first complaint from people wanting to switch over to a gluten free diet. Gluten free bread is dense and heavy and needs to be toasted to eat. But I have to tell you, there are several new items that will make you forget about your old food. Here is one of my favorite new brands.


Bread...normal bread...
I never thought I would have soft, light, non toasted bread again in my life time. I was wrong. Along came Udi's...

www.udisglutenfree.com



Ingredients:
Filtered Water, Tapioca Starch, Brown Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Canola Oil or Sunflower Oil, Egg Whites, Tapioca Maltodextrin, Evaporated Cane Juice, Tapioca Syrup, Yeast, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Baking Powder (Sodium Bicarbonate, Cornstarch, Calcium Sulfate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Cultured Brown Rice Flour, Cultured Dextrose, Enzymes, Ascorbic Acid (Contains Cellulose and Cornstarch). Contains: Eggs

Udi's also has a pizza crust that I am anxious to try and muffins and bagels. Please let me know if you try any of these, I would love to know what you think.



I buy my Udi's bread by the case and save quite a bit of money. I freeze most of them when we get them home. We eat a lot of bread and a case lasts about a month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Udi's muffins are delicious! Especially when they are warm and buttery. Yum!